Monday, October 27, 2008

Well I'm here.  My flight went well in that it was on time and everything.  I was glad that there was nobody in the seat next to me so I had a little more room to stretch out and actually got a few hours of sleep.  I was also thankful for the LCD screens on the seat backs as I was able to watch movies and tv, listen to music, and play games with the little remote (I thought "My dad would like this he could play chess"), as well as see a satellite map of where the plane was.  We flew over the Arctic Ocean and I saw that the water was frozen, then we flew over northeast Siberia and it was incredible.  Completely barren, like a desert, with just tan-colored hills and white frozen lakes, ponds, rivers, and streams as far as you could see.  Not a single plant.  I was thinking wow this would be a horrible place for the plane to go down.  The Arctic Ocean would've been pretty bad too.  Then I also happened to look out of the window later as we flew over the tip of the peninsula where Dalian, China is.  It seemed very industrial.

Aside from being so tired on the 2 1/2 hour drive from the airport to here that I fell asleep every time I blinked, I don't really feel jet lag.  I slept for about 8 hours and then woke up with the sun.  I headache when I first woke up but it went away when I got up.  And I guess my eyes are a BIT tired now, but no worse then how it normally is in the morning.

I don't know what people are talking about who say Korea smells bad.  I haven't noticed anything and just now I went out on my balcony to make sure and all I smelled was fresh morning air.  It's nice and the sun is shining and it seems to be in the 50's.

Also I heard some people say that Korea isn't as Westernized/Industrialized as they thought, but to me it seems comparable to the U.S.  The highway was well-kept and the roadsigns were green like in the U.S. and in this city the sidewalks were clean (I've noticed that you can tell a lot about foreign countries by how well they keep their sidewalks.  In Morocco they were cracked and in Mexico they were trashy.).  There are a lot more bright lights and signs then in most U.S. cities it seems.  It seemed colorful kind of like Chinatown only more electric lit up signs than painted signs.

Okay I have to go downstairs in 20 min for an orientation and I'm not even dressed so I need to sign off.  Later....

No comments: