Sunday, November 9, 2008

I am so frustrated right now.  I have been agonizing over this lesson plan because I'm not sure how to approach it.  I am supposed to teach students on the topic of "showing interest" using the phrase "I have interest in _______."  This is taken from the page I'm supposed to teach from, page 176, which has on it the following dialogue:

Paul: How was the math exam?
Inho: Don't ask.
Paul: I got a D.  How about you?
Inho: Same here.  I don't have much interest in math.
Paul: Don't say that.  Einstein didn't do well in math at school, you know.
Inho: Really?
Paul: Yeah, let's look on the bright side.

There is no way my students would comprehend that conversation.  That, I suppose, is why my head teacher pulled from it the basic "I have interest in" phrase.  The problem is, the context in which that phrase is used in the book is a kind of complicated, almost sarcastic sense.  If you're really wanting to talk about your interests, you use the word "interested."  So I really wanna change the lesson to "Are you interested in ______?  Yes, I'm interested in _______." or "No, I'm not really interested in."  But the fact that it's different from the book will be confusing for the students.  They only understand dumbed-down English.  So either I have a really tough task of making them understand, or I am teaching them to sound like a foreigner.  But they hired me because I am a native speaker of English.  So if I am teaching simplified English, I am totally defeating that purpose.  Ahhhhggghh.
In a lot of ways, my job is easy.  But sometimes, like right now, it's really hard and frustrating.  Now you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll pray for wisdom for you. I know I would want to know the right way. I hope you have a great day!
sheri