Saturday, November 22, 2008

Today I went to a wedding.  I had never met the bride and groom.  The mother of the bride is the pastor of a church I visited with my friend Karissa week before last, and she and I were both invited to the wedding in Seoul.  We took a fancy charter bus to the nicest hotel I've ever seen in my life (the furniture was all antique with plaques giving the year and country of origin, there was diamond jewelry displayed in lit boxes set into the walls in the hallways, and the lobby/lounge was this magnificent chandeliered mass of white Christmas lights and hundreds of poinsettia plants surrounding a copper statue fountain.  The hall in which the wedding was held took my breath away.  There was a white candle-and-white flower-lined runway up to the stage, and guests were all seated at tables covered with china, crystal, real sliver, and 6-foot candelabras crowned with 4 white taper candles and real white flowers.  The wedding was pretty much western-style minus attendants and with the mothers in traditional Korean dresses, and the bride's dress was a replica of Audrey Hepburn's dress in Roman Holiday, I heard.  After the ceremony she changed into a stunning red ball gown with the full skirt gathered at the hip with a diamond brooch, and a short tan fur jacket around her shoulders.  Here was the menu for our 5-course meal, all of which was some of the most delicious food I have ever tasted in my life:

Smoked Salmon filled with King Crab on Water Cress with Quail Egg, Caviar, and Basil Oil
Wild Mushroom Soup with Chives Cream
Orange Sherbet with Orange Zest
Grilled Beef Tenderloin Steak and baked Mero (a delicious type of fish steak) in White Wine Sauce
Chef's Special Vegetables (grilled zhuccini, eggplant, and asparagus)
Fried Black Rice
Opera Cake and Vanilla Sauce
Coffee or Tea
Served with Bread and Red Wine

In my opinion, it was the perfect way to spend a Saturday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley, I've been looking over your pictures and descriptions - more interesting than Nat'l Geo. Your mom told me your blog spot yesterday. Thanks for keeping us in the know. I'm always curious about education styles of other places. Where are you going to church? Saw your g.aunt Ruthie last nite - she had a few things to say to Mike Taylor and his puppets. We all sang hymns with more gusto than usual. They are already a very lively group - tapping into the "abundant life" I think. love & prayers, Marcia